According to a Study Published in Pediatrics, Button Batteries Accounted for 84% of the Battery-Related Hospital Emergency Department Visits by Children from 1990 to 2009
Melville, NY (PRWEB) May 22, 2012
Attorneys Andres Alonso and David Krangle, founding partners of Alonso Krangle LLP, a leading law firm focused on child product liability injuries and child safety issues, is alerting the public about serious internal injuries sustained by children who have swallowed so-called button batteries, the quarter-sized lithium batteries found in scores of common household gadgets. According to a study published online on May 10, 2012 in the journal Pediatrics, button batteries accounted for 84% of battery-related hospital emergency department visits by children from 1990 to 2009. Pediatrics Journal Article: Battery-Related Emergency Department Visits.
Alonso Krangle LLP is currently offering free button battery lawsuit evaluations to any family whose child sustained a serious internal injury after swallowing a button battery. To discuss filing a button battery injury lawsuit on behalf of your child with one of the experienced and compassionate product liability lawyers at Alonso Krangle LLP, please contact us at 1-800-403-6191 or visit our website, FightForVictims
Button batteries are found in numerous household items that are easily accessible to children, including toys, TV remote controls, cameras and singing greeting cards. According to the Pediatrics study, more than 66,000 battery-related emergency department visits were made by children between 1990 and 2009. The majority of those visits – more than three-quarters – involved children under 5. During the 20-year-span included in the study, the annual number of battery-related emergency room visits more than doubled — from 2,591 to 5,525 — by 2009. According to the report authors, the uptick coincided with the introduction of the button battery into the marketplace.
While swallowing a button battery can be harmless, provided it is eliminated in a child’s stool, if the battery lands with its negative pole in contact with tissue fluids in the lining of the esophagus, a microcurrent can generate hydroxide. When this occurs, a child can sustain severe internal injuries from button batteries that result in tissue damage, chemical burns and even death. According to the Pediatrics report, children who swallow button batteries may not initially appear to be in distress, making it important that parents and caregivers take a child to an emergency room for an X-ray if they suspect battery ingestion. The authors of the study called on manufacturers to launch efforts to make battery compartments in toys and other products inaccessible and child-resistant.
Children who sustained serious internal injuries after ingesting button batteries may be entitled to compensation. To discuss filing a button battery injury lawsuit on behalf of your child with one of the experienced and compassionate product liability lawyers at Alonso Krangle LLP, please contact us at 1-800-403-6191 or visit our website, FightForVictims
About Alonso Krangle LLP
Andres Alonso and David Krangle, attorneys with almost 40 years of collective legal experience, have focused their law practice on the handling of significant product liability cases, defective drug and medical device litigation, construction site accidents, nursing home abuse, medical negligence, qui tam/whistleblower actions and consumer fraud cases. A leading law firm representing injured victims throughout the U.S., Alonso Krangle LLP is headquartered in Long Island, New York, with offices in New York City, and plans to open additional locations in New Jersey.
For more information about Alonso Krangle or to join the fight and be a part of our team, please contact us at 1-800-403-6191 or visit our website, FightForVictims.