Optetrak Knee Replacement Lawsuits Are Being Filed Against Exactech
In February 2022, the Optetrak Comprehensive Total Knee System was the subject of a massive recall. At that time, Exactech, Inc. acknowledged that nearly 150,000 of its Optetrak knee replacement devices were prone to premature degradation because of a defective packaging issue.
The premature degradation could result in the failure of the knee replacement long before expected and at a very high rate compared with other devices.
Patients across the country have already experienced complications and have required revision surgery to ease the pain, swelling, and instability caused by the defective Optetrak knee parts.
Many of these individuals are filing lawsuits against Exactech, seeking significant damages.
Our lawyers at Alonso Krangle are interviewing potential clients who might have claims against Exactech related to the defective Optetrak device. If you had a knee replacement that required revision surgery and your doctor used an Optetrak total knee system, call our office today at 800-403-6191 to find out if you are entitled to file an Exactech knee replacement lawsuit.
What Are The Allegations In Optetrak Knee Replacement Lawsuits?
One such lawsuit filed on March 9, 2022 in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York lays out some of the issues that have potentially affected thousands of patients who received the defective Optetrak device as part of knee replacement surgery.
The plaintiff, in this case, suffered complications related to the degradation of her Optetrak device, which resulted in pain, suffering, and the need for revision surgery.
Some allegations include:
- During the recent recall of Optetrak comprehensive total knee systems, Exactech acknowledged and admitted that the devices’ packaging system was defective and improper.
- Because the polyethylene insert, a crucial component of the Optetrak knee device, was improperly packaged, it was prone to premature degradation.
- Because of the defective packaging, the polyethylene inserts degraded prematurely and caused the patient to require revision surgery.
- The complaint also alleges that Exactech knew that their Optetrak knee devices were prone to failure at a much higher rate than similar systems made by other companies long before they announced the massive recall.
- That Exactech should have warned patients and doctors of the higher-than-normal failure rate and chance of degradation by placing a warning label or insert with the items.
- That Exactech failed to notify the public of the dangers of the Optetrak device in a reasonable amount of time
- That Exactech did not conduct adequate testing or quality control of their products.
Not all knee replacement lawsuits against Exactech will have the exact same facts. However, the issues and allegations referenced above will likely be common threads that run through future litigation relating to these defective devices.
Call Alonso Krangle, LLP, To Find Out If You Have A Claim Against Exactech
If you had knee replacement using the Optetrak comprehensive total knee system, ask some questions:
- Did your surgeon use an Optetrak device that was part of the Exactech recall?
- Did you have complications such as pain, immobility, or swelling?
- Did you require additional surgery to fix the knee replacement?
If the answer to these questions is “yes,” call our office today to find out if you can file an Optetrak knee replacement lawsuit. Call 800-403-6191 now.