It’s an emotional and painful decision when we’re faced with placing our parents or another family member in a nursing home. Once you make a decision on a facility, you trust that it’s a secure and friendly place that will provide the degree of care that your family member requires.
Sometimes that trust is violated, and people tragically discover that their family member has been abused. Relatives of those victims can contact a skilled Long Island nursing home abuse attorneys at Alonso Krangle LLP to fight elder abuse lawyers for their loved ones.
Signs of Abuse
There are a variety of behaviors by nursing home personnel that can constitute abuse. Since you’re not there 24 hours a day, red flags should come up when you see the following possible signs:
- Bruises or even fractures without a sufficient explanation. They might be a result of physical abuse.
- A significant change in mental status. This might be a sign of nursing home staff administering prescription drugs in order to make their jobs easier.
- Fear of the facility’s staff. Apprehension about looking at or talking to a nursing home staff member could be a sign of verbal, physical or sexual abuse
- Significant and fast weight loss can be an indicator of abuse. Your family member shouldn’t lose weight in a nursing home unless it’s a known symptom of a medical condition.
- Financial exploitation when your family member has signed documents that operate to transfer interests in real or personal property. That could be a huge red flag.
The nursing home abuse attorneys at Alonso Krangle LLP have a combined 45 years of experience fighting for justice for victims. If you suspect that your loved one is being abused at a nursing home or long term care facility, call us or use our contact form at fightforvictims.com to arrange for a free consultation and case review. Our objective is to get your loved one the justice and compensation that he or she deserves.