Our Lawyers Help Victims of Food Poisoning Obtain Damages
Enjoying a delicious meal with friends and family is one of the little things that can bring joy to many people. Whether you are eating out with your buddies or simply enjoying your favorite food at home with loved ones, sharing a meal tends to elicit laughter and smiles. However, everyone’s experience with food doesn’t always have a happy ending. Sometimes, people get food poisoning, which can result in severe illness and injuries.
Have you suffered from food poisoning recently? Did you get sick after eating something that was subsequently recalled? If so, you might be entitled to collect compensation from the food manufacturer, store, or restaurant that made you sick.
At Alonso Krangle, LLP, our lawyers have experience handling food poisoning claims for people on Long Island. Call us today to find out how we can help when food poisoning sickens you or someone you love.
What is Food Poisoning?
Food poisoning is any disease or illness that affects a person due to eating contaminated food. Food poisoning occurs more often than you might think. The Federal government estimates that as many as 48 million cases of foodborne illnesses happen every year in the United States. Food poisoning causes approximately 128,000 people to be hospitalized and 3,000 people to die every year. These numbers don’t reflect the number of food poisoning victims who suffer dreadful symptoms but do not go to the hospital for treatment.
How Do You Get Food Poisoning?
Food poisoning occurs in various situations. You might eat in a restaurant that does not adhere to government health and safety standards. You might purchase and cook a batch of food that was the subject of a recall because it contains bacteria. You can also get food poisoning when you eat expired food or food that is not thoroughly washed.
Food poisoning is something we can’t always avoid, even when we take necessary precautions. But it can help to know what causes it so we can be on the lookout. Common causes of food poisoning include the following:
- Bacteria – Bacteria is probably one of the most common causes of food poisoning worldwide. Ingesting food that is teeming with bacteria is one sure way to get food poisoning. The effects on a person’s body would depend on the kind of bacteria that has contaminated the food. One of the most common bacteria that cause food poisoning in the US is Salmonella. Next on the list is Escherichia coli or better known as E. coli.
- Viruses – Aside from bacteria, viruses are probably the next most common cause of foodborne illnesses. Much like with bacteria, the severity of the virus’s effect on a person would depend on the kind of virus which caused the food poisoning. Hepatitis A is a very common example of a virus that causes food poisoning.
- Parasites – Parasites are yet another cause of food poisoning in the US. These are organisms that get their nourishment and protection from other living organisms called hosts. Some parasites can contaminate food and cause sickness if it is ingested by anyone. A few of the well-known parasites which cause food poisoning are tapeworms and roundworms.
- Toxins – While the most common causes of food poisoning are bacteria and viruses, there may be some instances when toxins are the culprit. There are natural and chemical toxins that can contaminate food and can cause food poisoning instantly.
Symptoms of Food Poisoning
Now that you are familiar with the causes of food poisoning, you should recognize the symptoms.
The symptoms of food poisoning can vary from one person to another. A key factor in the symptoms and their severity is the type of bacteria, virus, or parasite, which causes food poisoning.
Some common symptoms of food poisoning include:
- Stomach cramps
- Upset stomach
In some instances, however, the symptoms can become so severe that they cause long-lasting illnesses and even death. Symptoms like chronic arthritis, kidney failure, brain, and nerve damage may occur.
Where Can You Get Food Poisoning
The most common place where you can get food poisoning is a restaurant or food establishment which is dirty and unsanitary. Improper handling or storing of food can cause bacteria or viruses to contaminate food and result in food poisoning. As such, a restaurant that does not follow proper health codes is a place that you should avoid.
Restaurants are not the only places where you can get food poisoning, however. Grocery stores and supermarkets can also be places where food poisoning can happen. Improper handling and selling of food items that are way beyond their expiration dates can cause food poisoning as well.
If you or someone you know has suffered from food poisoning, call our lawyers at Alonso Krangle, LLP. Our experienced Long Island food poisoning lawyers can help seek compensation for your suffering.
What Should You Do if You Have Food Poisoning?
If you are experiencing one or more of the symptoms above, you may be suffering from food poisoning. If so, the first thing to do is to get yourself checked by a doctor right away. While some initial food poisoning symptoms can be mild, not treating it can lead to a rapid decline in health. In some cases, food poisoning can lead to death if not treated promptly.
Once you consult a doctor, the next step is to contact our food poisoning lawyers right away. At Alonso Krangle, LLP, our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you understand what rights you might have to collect compensation after being sickened by food poisoning. Our lawyers can:
- Advise You of Your Rights – Some people who suffer from food poisoning do not know what rights they might have. Getting a food poisoning lawyer as early as possible can help you understand what remedies you have and how to enforce them.
- Preserve Important Evidence– Building a successful food poisoning case can be challenging. Having strong evidence is necessary to prove that a restaurant or grocery store caused you to have food poisoning. Some victims may not be aware of what can be used as evidence, and this is where a lawyer can make a difference. Our Long Island food poisoning lawyers have a wealth of experience regarding the matter. We can seek critical evidence that can make or break a food poisoning claim.
- Guiding You Throughout the Process – Establishing a successful food poisoning case is easier said than done. The entire process can be very complicated, from dealing with food establishments and manufacturers to filing the necessary court documents. Our food poisoning lawyers can help guide you throughout the entire process. We can ensure that the proper steps are taken, and your interests are protected.
Call Our Food Poisoning Lawyers Today For a Free Evaluation of Your Food Poisoning Case
Our food poisoning lawyers will gladly provide you with a free case evaluation. Call Alonso Krangle, LLP today at 800-403-6191 or 516-350-5555 to find out if you may be entitled to damages due to food poisoning. Let our food poisoning lawyers help you get the compensation you deserve.