Our New York Malpractice Attorneys Fight For Victims of Medical Negligence
When you go to the doctor for a wellness check, injury, or illness, you expect to receive focused and competent attention. When you go to the hospital for an emergency, surgical procedure, or testing, you expect to receive reasonable treatment from doctors, nurses, and technicians.
Medical and healthcare providers are people we trust. When we need help, we turn to them, hoping their training and experience will result in good advice, correct diagnoses, and treatments that will make us feel better.
Medical Malpractice Cases on the Rise in NY
Sadly, those we trust the most might not always act according to the proper standards set by the medical community. When a healthcare provider fails to provide treatments and services that meet these standards, and injuries or death results, it is called medical malpractice.
If you or a loved one is a victim of medical malpractice or have a question about your legal rights, call our lawyers at Alonso Krangle, LLP. Our personal injury lawyers have years of experience handling medical malpractice cases in New York. We know how to hold doctors and hospitals accountable when they make mistakes that cause serious injuries.
At Alonso Krangle, LLP, you will find malpractice lawyers that take the time to listen attentively to your story and patiently explain your legal rights. We can determine if you have a New York medical malpractice claim and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
What is Medical Malpractice in New York?
The action or inaction by a healthcare provider must rise to the level of negligence to be considered malpractice. In other words, just because a doctor, nurse, or hospital makes a mistake does not automatically mean you have a malpractice claim.
Malpractice must involve a healthcare provider’s failure to provide a level of treatment that meets the accepted standard of care. The standard of care is usually one set by the professional community.
The analysis of negligence might involve asking questions such as: “Did the doctor act the way another competent doctor would have under similar circumstances?” or “Was it unreasonable for the doctor to make this decision?” or “Would other doctors have done something differently?”
How Do Healthcare Providers Commit Malpractice in New York?
Medical malpractice can occur in a multitude of ways and can result in serious injuries and death. Generally, our New York medical malpractice lawyers handle malpractice claims that fall into one of the following categories:
- Failure to diagnose cancer – ignoring symptoms, not performing tests that a reasonable doctor would conduct
- Surgical errors – leaving items in someone’s body after surgery, operating on the wrong body part, failing to follow sterilization protocols
- Failure to diagnose heart disease
- Improper treatment of a disease or illness – not following reasonable standards and recommendations for treatments
- Medication errors – giving a patient medication to which she has a documented allergy, prescribing the wrong dose of something, dangerous drug interactions
- Misdiagnosis – failing to perform a reasonable test based on symptoms
- Failure to diagnose pulmonary embolism
- Birth injuries such as Erb’s or cerebral palsy – failing to monitor the baby’s heartbeat or failing to perform a timely C-section
- Failure to diagnose meningitis
- Anesthesia errors – administering the wrong amount or failing to monitor a patient who is under anesthesia
- Failure to diagnose bowel disease – not pursuing reasonable testing options based on symptoms
- Failure to diagnose DVT
- Failure to warn patients of risks of treatment, surgery, medication
Proving Causation Requires Help From Our Medical Malpractice Lawyers
One tricky aspect of medical malpractice cases in New York is proving that the healthcare provider’s negligence caused injuries or death.
Because many victims of malpractice are already sick, it can be challenging to show that “but-for” the negligence, the patient would have a different result. There must be evidence that the doctor or hospital actually caused harm.
For example, suppose patient dies from pancreatic cancer. Even if there is evidence that the doctor missed this diagnosis and was negligent, it can be challenging to prove that the negligence caused the patient’s death and that the cancer would have been fatal regardless of the diagnosis.
This is why it is so important to speak to our experienced medical malpractice lawyers at Alonso Krangle, LLP. We have the resources and skills to uncover and prove medical malpractice. Many malpractice claims require expert testimony, reviews of medical records, and scientific reports, along with knowledge of special legal procedures that might need to be followed.
At Alonso Krangle, LLP, our negligence lawyers will fight for your rights to obtain the damages you deserve when medical malpractice causes injury or death to someone you love.
Call Alonso Krangle, LLP, New York Medical Malpractice Lawyers to Find Out if You Have a Malpractice Claim
Our lawyers know that doctors and hospitals make mistakes and that sometimes a bad outcome results. But we also know that not all mistakes rise to the level of malpractice, even when victims suffer because of them.
When you think a doctor or surgeon mistreated you or someone you love, it can be a very emotional time. You might be dealing with the loss of life, feelings of betrayal, and even guilt for not being able to go back and do things differently.
You can’t undo the damage done to the victim of malpractice, but you might be able to hold someone accountable.
Call Alonso Krangle, LLP today to find out more about your rights to file a medical malpractice claim in New York. Our experienced, compassionate malpractice lawyers will listen to your story, review your case, and determine if you can file a malpractice claim. You might be eligible to seek damages for lost income, pain and suffering, medical bills, and more.
There are time limits to file claims. We can’t know how much time you have left until we hear the facts of your case. Call New York medical malpractice lawyers today at 800-403-6191 for a free evaluation of your malpractice claim.
- Cancer Misdiagnosis and Medical Malpractice
- Cosmetic Surgery Malpractice
- Hyperbilirubinemia Lawsuit
- Long Island Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Failure to Diagnose Cancer
- NY Lawyers Medical Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice and Negligence Lawyers
- Consulting with New York Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- Medical Malpractice and Diagnostic Errors
- Lawyers Handling Surgical Malpractice Claims